Uploader now fixed, if you have uploaded a map and do not see it in the downloads section please reupload it again, sorry for any inconvenience caused

If you find a broken link, please report it to the Broken Link Forum located HERE.

+ Reply to Thread
    Registered User Izangar is on a distinguished road
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Creating custom models / How do I properly UV unwrap large models?

Is there anybody out there?

Hey folks. So, I'm trying to make some large stone slabs for a map in CoD4.

First, I tried to make a prefab out of terrain patches, and it looked good enough, but I soon realized that there is a maximum number of terrain vertices allowed per world. I quickly exceeded that number with that method. So I started to recreate the rock model in blender. It worked fine, I managed to get it inside the game, but it doesn't look too good. The slab is about 256x256x16 units in size, it uses a 2048x2048 px material, but the material doesn't have enough resolution.

How do I properly UV unwrap large models? Can I use more than one uv map per model? Can I use bigger materials? How are large game assets set up?

Thanks in advance

Administrator MelVin is on a distinguished road MelVin's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post pics of the UV space and the model. From there we can figure it out, I would guess(without seeing it ) that you are not using the UV space to it's fullest. depending on the shape, you might even have "overlapping" of verts/polys in the UV. Regardless, COD does use compression, so if you know the UV is correct, try using uncompressed setting.

Codutility Admin
    Mapping and Mod Tech.
    Portfolio: http://www.claytondomino.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MelVin View Post
    Post pics of the UV space and the model. From there we can figure it out, I would guess(without seeing it ) that you are not using the UV space to it's fullest. depending on the shape, you might even have "overlapping" of verts/polys in the UV. Regardless, COD does use compression, so if you know the UV is correct, try using uncompressed setting.
    Thanks for the reply. Here's a pic from Blender.
    http://imgur.com/OnvqKfx

The top and bottom of the slab are identical, so they share the same UV space. You can see some overlapping edges there.
    And here's a picture ingame (for some reason it looks rather dark in the screenshot):
    http://imgur.com/LIWh8UU

The top surface is...ok? But the sides are really blurry, I figure it is because of the little UV space it uses. How do I optimize this? Cod4 has some huge mesh assets that don't look blurred at all. And what about these uncompressed settings? Haven't heard about hat before. I found very little info about creating custom models so far.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    uncompressed textures can be used in cod but you do not want to unless there is no other way, as they use a large amount of texture memory. Fortunately you can remove the UV seem form one side,(perferably the top side.) This will clean up the UV allowing for you to maximize the UV space used and by removing the seem you should be able to match the texture resolution to the rest of the model as it will really only be one large island

Codutility Admin
    Mapping and Mod Tech.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I tried other layouts on the the UV unwrap but I got stretched faces without the seams. I might try again, though. Do you know if CoD supports more UV spaces per model, if that is even possible? And I'd set the compression settings in the Assets Manager, I suppose?

Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    yes used compressed , in the manager. But you will have one seem on the model around the edge of either the top or bottom. the "edge can be attached to either the top or bottom "island" this will allow you to texture it the same.

Codutility Admin
    Mapping and Mod Tech.