PDA

View Full Version : Issues... your thoughts?

HarryNutz
February 21st, 2012, 07:18
Im not sure if my video card is on the frits or if I have a virus. I ran a couple online scans and nothing was found, but tonight I was testing my map at one point and something odd happened... massive spikes started popping up all over the place. I downloaded latest nvidia beta drivers to see if that made a difference and something really wacked happened... the 2d window in Radiant was showing everything flat... like my whole entire map was run over by a steam roller... then it was like showing a lot of models and prefabs all were under the terrain. Tried reverting back to original drivers and no joy, went into map and all of a sudden the trunks of trees were flashing and I could see all my models through other objects. Even my MSI Afterburner was off... where it shows GPU usage it had some goofy high number like 5405983275950. :rolleyes:

Gonna try a system restore and pray that fixes the issue and hope its not the card.

snypir
February 21st, 2012, 09:56
"I ran a couple online scans"

not sure what you mean by this, but I'd suggest not using online scans, use well known software like MalwareBytes, AVG, etc. I use downloads.cnet.com for finding good free anti-virus/malware tools. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes and a few other tools.

The 2d window is suppose to be flat, so I'm not sure if that's a typo. Screenshots would help.

I would guess a bad card, but I'm not real good at that stuff. There might be some diagnostic tools for it.

This thread has some links to stuff that might help track down the problem:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=79311

I did notice that Microsoft has been updating .net framework, which the tools use, maybe their updates are messing something up. Capt was having sudden issues with compiling reflections, not sure if he worked that out or not.

WyldManM
February 21st, 2012, 10:15
that sux - doesnt sound like a game/mod tool error - sounds like video or bad RAM - if you have more than one stick - try removing one at a time and test individually

Good Luck

HarryNutz
February 21st, 2012, 16:33
Real mess... nothing working right and even CoD4 just keeps crashing on startup... system hangs at Shutting Down... sound card refuses to work (though I have always had some issues with it... I think the mobo slot is wonky, but has ever given me this much grief).

Gonna try a Windows 7 reinstall... man I hate doing it, but gotta start somewhere I guess.

Wish me luck and be back late tonight or tomorrow. :(

WyldManM
February 21st, 2012, 19:53
no spare vid card or ram to test?

Good luck d00d!

HarryNutz
February 22nd, 2012, 02:08
Well Im back after a reinstall.. though now I believe it could be the HDD. We shall see...