PDA

View Full Version : Techset errors

WarMachine
May 3rd, 2013, 17:34
Its my first time working in COD5 radiant, and I've come across techset errors that show up when the map is done compiling. This is one of the lines that Im getting:

ERROR: Couldn't open techniqueSet 'techsets/l_sm_r0c0_t1c1n1s1_sco.techset'
Cannot create technique set. The offending 2-layer combination is:
wc/zm_conc_2tone
wc/berlin_decal_trim_metal_grate
failed loading material '*0_1n' for asset 'maps/test.d3dbsp' found in source file '../zone_source/test.csv'

The zm_conc_2tone is a custom texture.

The techsets errors appear at some places only in the level.

I have never seen this error when working in COD4, and this is my first time working in COD5, so I have no idea what to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

CaptCom
May 3rd, 2013, 18:33
Just for fun ( joke ) try to make the brushes where these textures are applied " details ".
Or remove the offending textures.

One thing I saw with CoD5, its when you want to add decals, the best is to use a brush textured "decal nodraw" instead of a patch/mesh.

Another thing when I create custom textures in CoD5 I use jpg format. For decals I use tga.

Gerry
May 3rd, 2013, 19:49
As far as I know, Techsets are combinations of layered textures that the fastfile compiler seems to group.
Not sure why this is however what I have noticed is that this seems to occur when you have layered textures with differing sources.
For example:
Texture A uses a colour & a normal map
Texture B uses a colour, normal & a spec map
This will result in a techset issue.
Give Texture A a spec map or remove the spec map from Texture B & it should be fine.
Not sure what works with what.

Those missing textures in your compiled map are where these combinations occur.

WarMachine
May 3rd, 2013, 19:49
There are some decals that are causing problems, like the blood decal, and its not custom. I've seen on some sites people adding techset files to zone files, but Im not sure if it works or not.
All my custom textures are jpg. The errors are being caused by both brushes and patches.
And above all, even the local textures are giving techset errors!

WarMachine
May 3rd, 2013, 20:07
Gerry I think you're right. I believe one of my textures does not have a normal.
But then again, the local textures should not be giving errors then.
I'll give it a try and see what happens.

WarMachine
May 3rd, 2013, 20:34
Gerry you were right. Some of my custom textures were missing specular maps. After adding those, all the techset errors are gone.
Funny I never had these errors in COD4.
Thanks Gerry and Capt.!

Gerry
May 3rd, 2013, 20:50
Certain combinations of local (stock) textures can produce the error as well.
Unfortunately you just have to mess around a bit when it happens.
Good to see you have it sorted.
Cheers

WarMachine
May 4th, 2013, 00:30
I had a talk with some people from Treyarch and they gave me the explanation. So only those techsets work that were shipped with the game; the engine does not create new techsets like COD4 tools.

Gerry
May 4th, 2013, 20:01
Interesting to know, thanks for info.

DRUMBUM
May 6th, 2013, 15:01
There is a way to add techsets to the Levels.gdt on COD5 so that you can create new combinations and have it work. I havent done it in forever so I don't know how off the top of my head but it is possible on cod5 toolset but like you said it works different than the cod4 toolset!

grissim
March 24th, 2014, 08:20
You know I get that error when I convert the mod tools.It shows up in the material factory and I don't know what it started.